Return to Skate for 2020-2021 Season
It’s the time of year when we are normally looking forward to the beginning of a hockey season, but this year has been filled with such uncertainty. The AAGHA board of directors have been working to establish a go-forward plan in accordance with the direction of the OWHA, our provincial government, and our municipality (to name just a few influencers). We hope that this email will provide some answers to what our hockey season will look like this season. Always keep in mind that the situation is evolving regularly, and we will announce changes as they are given to us.
Many of us are anxious to get our daughters back into the physical, mental, and emotional outlet that hockey provides, and we all want to do it as safely as possible. With that objective as a guide, we are happy to announce the beginning of 2020-2021 hockey season!
This hockey season will be divided into 3 phases.
Development Phase 1 - Sept 8-27th
- Skills and Drills
- Fee of $150 due by September 8th, 2020 - CHANGED TO OCTOBER 1ST
Development Phase 2 - Sept 28th - Oct 18th
- Internal 3v3 OR 4v4
- Fee of $150 due by October 1st, 2020 - CHANGED TO OCTOBER 15th
Development Phase 3 - Oct 19th until date TBD by OWHA
- Potential to include external 3v3 OR 4v4
- Fee of $150 due by November 1st, 2020
Teams and Game Structure
- There will be no 5 on 5 hockey for at least the first half of the season, favouring 3v3 or 4v4 instead
- Instead of "teams", players will be part of a development group that will have fewer players than usual in order to comply with maximum players on the ice at one time as set out by the OWHA and the Municipality
- There will be no evaluations, DS programming, or try-outs this season
- Development groups will be selected by the association (including coaches), and will be based on age group and skill level
- Groups may change for each phase of the return to play
- We will be in contact soon to inform players of their development groups and ice times starting September 8th
- Most development groups will see 1 to 3 skates per week
- New City of Hamilton arena guidelines require that players may only arrive at the arena 10 minutes prior to ice time at least partially dressed as the change rooms will not be accessible
- Groups will have 60 full minutes on ice, then will be required to leave within 5-7 minutes so that the arena may be cleaned/prepared for the next group
- U9 will have a modified schedule TBD
- The fee structure has also been divided into 3 instalments, with due dates of September 8th, October 1st, October 15th, and November 1st
- the full fee of $450 may be paid all at once
- Registration after September 30th may be subject to a $50 surcharge
- Late registrations may be "wait-listed" as we will be required to cap the number of players per "bubble"
- Registration (per phase) is non-refundable
Information about COVID-19 protocols, requirements, and responsibilities will be posted to the association website.
We understand that there are many questions to be answered as we work through this strange time. We will continue to send out information as we receive it.
NOTE: Payment system is now active.
Please stay healthy!
AAGHA Board of Directors